I’ve been working on my corset a few hours each evening, and I’ve finally finished applying satin binding to the lower edges. Now all there is to do is stitching the satin ribbon in verticals and curves across the front and back of the corset, applying binding to the top edges and arm openings, and couched eyelets. That’ll only take another three or four lifetimes. Here’s a quick cell phone photo of the corset as it stands currently. I’ve finished the binding on the lower edges and applied trim to the side seams. there will be vertical trim up the center back, and curved trim on the back seams and along the front.
In the mean time, I’ve created a sketch of what I expect the finalized outfit to look like. This is in part to remind myself of why I’m spending countless hours sewing satin ribbon, and partly because it’s fun. I make no apologies for my lack of artistic genius here.
The one thing I will say is that while the corset is patterned closely on period sources, this outfit takes some creative license. While the Victoria & Albert Museum’s description suggests that the corset might have been worn with a matched skirt as an outer bodice in a casual, private setting, my sketch describes an outfit even more casual than what I believe the V&A Museum is suggesting.
The original corset upon which I have based my design is on display at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London: